NSW records two new local cases as Sydney ordered to mask up

For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.

NSW has recorded two new local cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, prompting an expansion of existing restrictions.

Of the two new cases, one was in a woman in her 50s from the Sutherland Shire, who was a close contact of a previously confirmed case, and another was a man in his 50s from the Sutherland Shire who is linked to the Salvation Army.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian.Credit:Dominic Lorrimer

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said the woman was in isolation when she tested positive for the virus. Investigations are ongoing regarding the man.

Masks on Sydney public transport, which were made mandatory in Sydney on Friday, will now also be required in Shellharbour and Wollongong until Thursday.

People in seven local government areas – Randwick, Bayside, Botany Bay, Inner West, City of Sydney, Waverley and Woollahra – will now also have to wear masks indoors, including in retail settings, unless they are eating or drinking.

There was also one new local case confirmed in Queensland on Sunday in a cabin crew member who tested positive after completing 14 days of hotel quarantine.

The woman is believed to have been on the same international flight as a previously confirmed case.

Queensland’s Premier Annastasia Palaszczuk said: “I don’t want the community to be alarmed at this stage because the woman was only out in the community for a short period of time … she had just finished her 14 days of hotel quarantine and tested positive after she left quarantine.”

In NSW, there are now a total of eight cases associated with the eastern suburbs cluster.

The initial case in NSW was a driver in his 60s who interacted with international air crew.

Subsequent infections include the driver’s wife, a woman in her 70s who visited a Vaucluse cafe with the driver, a man in his 50s who walked past the driver at the Myer store in Westfield Bondi Junction, an eastern suburbs woman in her 40s who frequented the same Westfield and a man in his 30s who visited the shopping centre at a known exposure time.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said there were 24,000 tests conducted on Saturday but urged more people to come forward for testing.

Health authorities have urged people who were in the vicinity of confirmed COVID-19 cases, including Westfield Bondi Junction on Saturday 12 June and Sunday 13 June, to get a COVID-19 test even if they do not have symptoms.

However, people without symptoms who have not been classified as casual contacts have not been asked to self-isolate, even while waiting for test results.

“People who do not have symptoms do not need to isolate, but until they return a negative test are strongly urged to wear a mask in all public indoor spaces, avoid gatherings and minimise their movements, particularly attending the cinemas or trips to the ski fields,” NSW Health said on Saturday.

People who attended the same specific venues or were on the same public transport services as cases are being asked to immediately get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result.

There were no new local cases reported in Victoria on Sunday, following one new case on Saturday and one on Friday.

Victoria’s lockdown measures were further eased on Friday, including a scrapping of the 25 kilometre radius for travel for Melburnians and an increase in the maximum number of people allowed at public gatherings from 10 to 20 in Melbourne and from 20 to 50 in regional Victoria.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article