Foster parents of teen who killed Logan Mwangi 'lived in fear' of him

Foster parents of teenager, 14, who murdered Logan Mwangi ‘lived in fear’ and warned social services about the ‘monster’ after he tortured dog, played ‘murder games’ and stamped on a little girl – but were told it was ‘just banter’

  • Foster parents claim teen sought out weaker and more vulnerable kids to target
  • They said he was ‘far and away’ the worst child they have ever had in their care 
  • Teen convicted of murder alongside Logan’s mother and stepfather yesterday

The foster parents of the teenager found guilty of murdering five-year-old Logan Mwangi have told how they lived in fear while the ‘little monster’ was in their care.

The elderly couple, who have taken 80 children into their semi-detached home in South Wales, said the teenager was ‘far and away’ the worst, as he sought out ‘weaker and more vulnerable’ children to victimise.

They said the teen was murder obsessed and had a ‘cruel streak’ which saw him stamp on one girl’s toes after she had just had an operation on them, before allegedly pulling up the neighbour’s dogs legs following surgery and spraying deodorant in its eyes. 

More crucially, they claimed he said he wanted to kill Logan just weeks before he committed the crime – which they reported to social services. 

He also took two younger girls to a park to play a game he invented called murders. 

The boy was found guilty of murder yesterday alongside Logan’s mother Angharad Williamson, 31, and his stepfather John Cole, 40. 

They abused and killed the five-year-old before dumping his body in the River Ogmore, near their home in Pandy Park, on July 31 last year. 

The elderly couple who have taken 80 children into their semi-detached home in South Wales, said the teenager who killed little Logan Mwangi (pictured) was ‘far and away’ the worst

Speaking today, the teenage killer’s former foster carers said he would run around singing ‘kill the Jews’, which social services allegedly shrugged off as ‘banter’.

The foster father said: ‘It is the first time I’ve ever been worried about my own family – we are foster carers not psychiatrists.’

It was the only time in their 50 years of fostering that the couple have called social services to say they could not cope with a child’s behaviour.

The foster dad added: ‘We were frightened in our own home, we didn’t feel safe. I wanted him moved.

‘I told social services: ‘I want him out of here’ but the social worker turned it around on us saying we needed more training.

‘I was angry, we’ve been looking after children for all these years. We know what we are doing.’

The youth, 13 at the time, made a death threat against Logan while he was fostered with the couple for eight weeks.

The boy’s foster dad said: ‘He was always on about killing people – then he said he wanted to kill another boy.

‘I told social services – that should have rang alarm bells.’

The youth, 13 at the time, made a death threat against Logan (pictured) while he was fostered with the couple for eight weeks

The foster dad said: ‘Before he left us I said to myself that he was going to do something bad.

‘But I didn’t expect it to be murder or for it to happen so soon.’

The couple told how the boy terrorised them and other children in their care who he would pick on for fun.

The foster dad said: ‘He would be marching around the place singing ‘Kill the Jews’ – it was not natural.

‘When we told social services they said it was just banter but that’s nonsense.’

While staying with the foster family the boy went to a nearby park with their two younger granddaughters.

The foster mother said: ‘He told them they were going to play a murder game and they would be put in black plastic bags. We were shocked to find out that is what happened to Logan.’

The dedicated couple were warned the teenager had ADHD and autism when he moved in with them.

On his first night they found knives hidden around their house. One was a sharp Jamie Oliver vegetable knife, the couple still have no idea where he got them from.

He targeted weaknesses in other children staying at the house, deliberately stamping on the feet of a girl who had just come out of hospital after an operation on her toes.

The foster mum said: ‘We’ve had lots of smiles and laughter with all our children over the years. But there have been tears too, some of them have been very difficult.

‘Social Services told us the boy would be a challenge but this was way beyond anything we’ve ever experienced before.

‘We were told he’d be alright because he was on medication but it was like living with a little monster.’

The boy refused to wash and would play on his X-box round the clock in his bedroom, disturbing the rest of the household.

The foster mum said: ‘He wouldn’t even stop to go to the toilet – he had an empty coke bottle next to him so he could carry on playing.

‘He wouldn’t shower, the odour coming off him would take your breath away. ‘I’d say come on now go in the shower you stink.

The boy was found guilty yesterday alongside Logan’s mother Angharad Williamson, 31, and his stepfather John Cole, 40 (Pictured: Williamson and Cole in court sketch during sentencing)

‘He said he liked girls and I told him he wouldn’t get a nice girlfriend smelling like that. But he didn’t want to know.’

The boy went to a local comprehensive school while staying with the couple but was regularly excluded for being abusive to teachers.

He also shocked the foster family by painting his face and body bright blue like the aliens in the science fiction film Avatar.

The foster mum said: ‘That was weird – to get him the shower at the best of times was difficult, I had to gradually get him in there to get the paint off.’

They believe the teenager picked on other children in the home out of jealousy and he always wanted to be the centre of attention.

The couple have questioned whether he acted in the same way with Logan.

The foster mum said: ‘Normally children have triggers, you get to know what will upset them. But that boy didn’t have triggers, anything would set him off and then he wouldn’t stop.’

On the morning of July 31 last year the once ‘smiling, cheerful little boy’ (pictured), was found by police just 250 metres from his home submerged in the River Ogmore

The teenager sprayed deodorant into the eyes of a neighbour’s pet dog and also terrorised the family’s pet dog by picking it up by the back legs when he knew it was recovering from an operation.

‘He had a cruel streak in him,’ the foster mum said. ‘I don’t think he was tough with people older than him but he would go for the weak and vulnerable. Children or animals it didn’t matter.

‘He would shadow box – throwing punches up to my husband, never hitting him but coming close. He has a heart condition but the boy would wind him up and just boxing terms like upper cut. It wasn’t very nice to have that going on in your own home.’

The foster mum had to lock herself into her garden on the day the boy was due to leave and move in with his new family.

The foster mum said: ‘We can give four weeks notice if there is a child we can’t cope with. I’ve never done it before but we would have had to do it with him.

Angharad Williamson, 31, hysterically wailed (pictured above) while pretending to be unaware of what happened to five-year-old Logan Mwangi in Bridgend, Wales, last July

‘In the end we didn’t have to because he moved out. That last morning he turned on me, it was horrible.

‘Up until that point I’d been saying he could come back and visit us like we were his grandparents.

‘He was calling me filthy names using the strongest language you can imagine. Then he started singing a song about me making it up as he went along again using disgusting words.

‘I’ll never forget when he came up to a window and smirked at me, it was the most chilling face. I told the police about it and they said they had seen him pull that face too.

‘I had to run into the garden and lock the gate to get away from him and in the end I ran to my brother’s house nearby to get to safety.’

The couple, who can’t be named to protect the identity of the boy, now 14, say they will carry on fostering needy children.



March 15: Logan is born in the Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend, to Angharad Williamson and Benjamin Mwangi. Their relationship quickly breaks down and Mr Mwangi moves back to Brentwood, Essex.

June: Mr Mwangi visits Logan in Bridgend for their first father’s day together and they have regular contact. Williamson and Logan move in with Mr Mwangi in Essex but by August have returned to Wales.

By the end of the year, Williamson had married another man, but the relationship became violent. During this time, contact between Logan and his father ceases. 


Contact between Logan and his father resumes. In April, Williamson takes Logan to visit Mr Mwangi and his family in Essex. 

This was the last time Mr Mwangi saw Logan, as Williamson was in a relationship with Cole and was preventing access. 


August: Police were called to the family home, a year before Logan died, after he suffered a broken arm from apparently falling down stairs. Williamson admits covering up and lying to police about this.


January 21: Williamson calls 101 and during the conversation tells the operator the youth defendant had confessed to pushing Logan down the stairs when he fractured his arm. 

May: Social services took no action when Logan burned his neck on a hot bath tap. Their investigation relied on photographs of the tap and Logan’s injuries. 

July 31: A five-year-old boy is found dead in the River Ogmore near Pandy Park in Bridgend.

August 2: The boy is named as ‘funny and polite’ Logan Williamson. South Wales Police question three suspects.

August 5: Logan’s stepfather John Cole is charged with murder as the boy’s mother Angharad Williamson and a 13-year-old boy are jointly charged with perverting the course of justice – along with Cole.

August 7: Hundreds of well-wishers release red balloons into the sky at a vigil next to the river bank where Logan was found dead.

September 1: Inquest into Logan’s death hears that the five-year-old could have suffered a ‘violent or unnatural death’.

October 21: Logan’s mother is charged with murder along with the teenager, now 14.


February 4: Angharad Williamson denies murder and causing or allowing the death of a child at Cardiff Crown Court. She has previously pleaded not guilty to perverting the course of justice.

John also appeared in court and denied causing or allowing the death of a child. He had already pleaded not guilty to murder and guilty to perverting the course of justice.

The 14-year-old boy had earlier denied murder and perverting the course of justice.

February 14: The three defendants appear in court to stand trial for the alleged murder of Logan.

February 21: The court hears that Logan suffered 56 catastrophic injuries to his body after he was allegedly beaten to death by his mother, stepfather and a ‘violent’ 14-year-old boy.

Jurors were told that the little boy was murdered after he caught Covid, before Williamson and Cole dumped his body in a river as if they were ‘fly-tipping’ rubbish.

The trio were said to have covered-up the horrific crime in an ‘elaborate charade’ by claiming Logan had gone missing or been kidnapped while in isolation.

April 21: Three defendants are convicted of Logan’s murder at Cardiff Crown Court.  

Source: Read Full Article