Fisherman Harry Burleigh, 69, found ALIVE after 17 days in wilderness tells stunned rescuers he only had 'minor' pain

A MISSING fisherman, 69, has been found alive after spending 17 nights alone in the Oregon wilderness.

Miraculously, when rescuers found Harry Burleigh he was sound and only complained of "minor" pain after more than two weeks in the wild.

Burleigh's wife, Stacy, initially reported him missing after he didn't return home from a camping trip in the Toketee area of Oregon, according to a news release from the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

The fisherman was due back from the trip on Thursday, May 6, and his wife reported him missing the next day when she still hadn't heard from him.

The sheriff's office began a search for Burleigh on the morning of May 8, and his car was located at a trailhead that leads to Twin Lakes.

Burleigh's wife posted about her missing husband to a local Facebook group and regularly shared updates about the various Search and Rescue missions for the missing fisherman.

Throughout the process of looking for him, search crews left food and notes for Burleigh, hoping he would come across the packages and wait for the team to come back.

At one point, crews found a makeshift shelter and a tackle box they believed belonged to the fisherman, but they could still not locate him.

Finally, on Sunday, a team located another shelter – and this time, Burleigh was in the vicinity.

"A team of searchers from Jackson County SAR located a shelter southwest of the original shelter found last weekend," a statement from police said.

"The search crews called out to Mr. Burleigh who responded back. He was found to be walking and complaining of minor pain, but was in stable condition.

"A Brim Aviation helicopter was utilized to hoist Burleigh from his location and transport him to a waiting Lifeflight helicopter."

The sheriff's office thanked the Search and Rescue teams from across the state for coming out to help in the search for the missing fisherman.

"This was the outcome we all have been looking for in this case," Sgt. Brad O'Dell said.

"It is because of our determined Search and Rescue Teams and the partnerships we have with other SAR teams from around the state, that Mr. Burleigh has been re-united with his family this evening.

"The Sheriff's Office wants to thank everyone who was involved in this mission."

    Source: Read Full Article