Dan Walker speaks out on BBC Breakfast future as host admits ‘Didn’t think I’d last’

BBC Breakfast: Carol Kirkwood jokes about Dan Walker

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Dan Walker reflected on his time at BBC Breakfast as the presenter cheekily joked he often doesn’t “last more than 18 months” in a role before moving onto something else. The 44-year-old took over from Bill Turnbull as the presenter of the news programme in February 2016.

The broadcaster confessed that he is still surprised that he has remained on Breakfast for over four years, as he credited the team and his co-presenter Louise Minchin.

The dad-of-three admitted he has no plans to leave the programme, as he spoke candidly about his future.

Dan explained: “With Breakfast, if you told me when I started that I would be doing [the programme] for four and a half years, I would have gone, ‘Don’t be daft.’

“But I really enjoy it. I love working with Louise.”

Dan continued: “If I hadn’t been for working with Louise and the team I don’t know whether I’d of lasted so long. But I love the job.

“I love the challenge, the variety, and the early mornings and I seem to be coping with it alright.”

Dan’s comments came weeks before he announced his departure from Football Focus, after 12 years fronting the sports programme.

He is one of the show’s longest-serving presenters and his last show will coincide with the end of the current season on Saturday, May 22.

Addressing his departure from the show, Dan said in a statement: “It has been an amazing 12 years and I have loved every second of it.

“I am so proud of the job we’ve done, the changes we’ve made and issues we’ve looked at while the football landscape changed immeasurably.”

Dan also took to his official Twitter account where he shared the news of his exit.

It has since been reported that Alex Scott, a former professional footballer for Arsenal, will be taking the reins on Football Focus but the news has not been confirmed.

DON’T MISS…

Catherine Zeta Jones details text exchange with daughter on her 18th[LATEST]
Our Yorkshire Farm’s Amanda Owen ‘frazzled’ amid twin announcement[VIDEO]
Piers Morgan mocked by fans over lacklustre furniture[PICTURES]

Meanwhile, Dan also dished on the moment he was dropped from talkSPORT after being late for his job in the early days of his broadcasting career.

The presenter revealed there had been a terrorist incident, which resulted in him being absent from his broadcast.

The BBC host admitted it happened in the early part of his career when he was on a two-week contract with the network in his early 20s.

He commented: “I’ve only ever been sacked from one job. This was years ago when I was 20 or something.

“I got sacked by talkSPORT on the third day in the job. There was a terrorist incident in London – a bomb scare.”

Dan revealed the controller didn’t “believe him” after he offered an explanation and apology for his lateness.

“The controller phoned me up the next morning and said, ‘Don’t bother coming in today. You’re sacked,'” Dan recalled.

BBC Breakfast airs daily on BBC One at 6am.

Source: Read Full Article